Swedish Orphan Biovitrum
Easy upgrades despite rigid quality controls
Faced with rapid growth, Swedish Orphan Biovitrum sought an ERP system that could manage its fast-paced expansion. In Jeeves ERP, the company has reliable support for its daily operations.
Swedish Orphan Biovitrum is a Swedish company that specializes in distributing and marketing drugs for rare and life-threatening diseases. The company was founded in 1988 and, for years, has been one of Sweden’s fastest-growing enterprises. The product portfolio includes about 50 different niche products, and the company has subsidiaries in several European countries.
The business operations make tough demands on proper system support. Traceability, document management, and comprehensive financial reporting capabilities are a must. The company considered a variety of ERP systems in the market, looking to provide a common platform to support the integration of its different business units, a smoothly functioning solution for logistics management, and outstanding expandability. Following the procurement process, the choice fell to Jeeves ERP.
“Jeeves has so many strengths,” said Astrid Wernered, systems manager for Jeeves at Swedish Orphan International. ”The learning curve for new employees is short, thanks to its extensive field help function. We can search every field in the entire database, it’s easy to print lists and reports, and the traceability is incredible. As a pharmaceutical company, we have to satisfy stringent requirements in terms of traceability and validation of data. We have a really great advantage with Jeeves ERP’s smart architecture and design.”
JEEVES ERP IS A PART OF EXPANSION
Like most Jeeves customers, Swedish Orphan Biovitrum has a small IT department for the administration of its systems. Users are good at making small changes and small adjustments that continually improve the various processes that the system supports.
“Today we have Jeeves installed in our Nordic companies,” said Wernered. ”In the near future, we plan to evaluate whether to deploy Jeeves ERP in more subsidiaries throughout Europe, as well as if we should introduce Jeeves ICT for intercompany transactions between the subsidiaries and warehouses to facilitate reconciliation of balances between group companies. Jeeves ERP gives us plenty of opportunities to boost our efficiency and gain better control.”
SIMPLE AND FAST UPGRADES
Jeeves’ philosophy of simple and rapid upgrades suits Swedish Orphan International’s IT strategy. The goal is to continuously implement upgrades at a low consultancy cost as new functionality is released to the market.
“We’ve chosen to always work with the latest version of Jeeves,” said Wernered. ”Since the time it takes to upgrade is so short, and we don’t need to cut back on our usual procedures, we have every reason to keep up with new developments.”
Briefly, an upgrade at Swedish Orphan International goes through the following steps:
- A project plan is drawn up and tentative launch date set.
- In parallel with the current version, the new release is installed on a test platform. This takes 1-2 days with some consultancy support.
- The system administrator runs through the main flows, such as finance, logistics, and manufacturing, to review the changes in the new version. This takes 4-5 days without the help of consultants. At the same time, process owners run short tests, taking one day each. Once the flow tests of new procedures are completed, the final launch date is set.
- The launch is done over a weekend and requires one day of consulting support. The master data is verified, and triggers and procedures are checked to be fully functional after launch. Afterwards, the new version is finally launched in the operating environment.
- When the launch is complete, all the project and system documentation is updated.
Most of the tests are performed by Swedish Orphan staff themselves, based on test scenarios and test instructions provided for process owners and system administrators. The three process owners spend 2-3 days each testing, while the system administrator takes about five days. The actual duration of the project for the most recent upgrade was about two weeks.
“I’m still amazed that we achieved this in such a short time,” Wernered added. ”And the fact that the cost of upgrades is so low is, of course, a big plus. Jeeves is clearly the right system for Swedish Orphan Biovitrum.”